There are a number of website design programs which can help you put together an attractive website in a short period of time, provided that you have content, and a basic idea of what you want your site to look like.
The most popular one is Front Page, not terrible expensive, but it does cost money. Then there is the very popular program CoffeeCup.
The most expensive is
Dreamweaver, a very robust program, most likely too robust for most beginners. However,it has impressive capabilities, and is certainly one program you will grow into. It can be bought on its own or as part of the Adobe Creative Suite, which can handle just about any form of online media, video, audio and so on.
For free programs that will get you started right away, you can get a copy of SeaMonkey, or Netscape Communicator 4.7.
Website design programs have a number of advantages:
- WYSIWYG – (what you see is what you get) editing, little or no html or css knowledge required
- you can put together a website in very short amount of time
- easily add flash, counters, forms, buttons, menus etc with drag and drop features
- a variety of predesigned layouts built right into most
- there is a basic builder built into the cpanel of some web hosts, such as hostgator
- an online site builder just requires an internet connection, no download or program to install. You will get one of these in your Fantastico suite if you host your site with hostgator and other big and inexpensive hosting sites.
- some allow editing from one program to another. For example, your original site might have been built in your website’s sitebuilder software, but you can migrate it over, and modify and customize it at a later date in Frontpage or Dreamweaver.
One thing is for sure, everyone wants a website these days, and to have someone do your design and maintain your site can start to add up after a while, so knowing the basics of HTML is a real plus, and using simple software is a step towards this goal.