Are your Pay Per Click ads the best they can be?
Ad testing (also known as a/b testing or split testing) lets you experiment with multiple ads at the same time to find out which ones work best.
When combined with the Ad Optimization feature in Google and Yahoo, the better-performing ads will display more often.
To start with, make sure you have them rotate evenly. Then you can see which one comes out the clear winner. You can then run another split test against, that winner, to see which one works best.
How Do You Benefit from Split Testing?
? Improve ad group performance because better performing ads, based on click-through rate, will serve more often (if Optimization is turned on, which is the default setting). Change to Rotate when you are first testing.
? Save time by automatically displaying the best performing ads
? Save money because ads with higher click-through rates may score higher in the quality index, and this may lead to higher placement at a lower cost
? Find out which messages, promotions, and geographical locations test better, and apply this learning to other marketing tactics, and in other PPC programs.
? Test different versions of your landing page URLs.
How to Create New Ads
To create a new ad:
1. Go to your intended ad group page or create a new ad group
2. Click on the +Create New Ad button
3. Enter a title, description, destination URL and display URL; make sure you are only testing 1 thing against the other ad, for example, the headline. Perfect it with split testing.
4. Review and approve ad
5. Track your results for a week
6. Repeat steps 1 through 5, in order to optimize your headline.
7. Once you have optimized your headline, repeat steps 1 through 5 with your first lines, to find the optimum one.
8. Repeat steps 1 through 5 to optimize your second lines.
9. Then do your display urls.
If you carry out your ad testing and tracking in a methodical way, you will be amazed at what a difference a tiny tweak or two can make. Best of all, you will have trackable, tangible results.